Today I had a meeting with my placement leader to discuss the next step as I am nearing the end of my placement
I had wanted and still want to extend my stay; however Air France have told me that to they can not extend my ticket as it is only valid for three months. Well they didn’t tell me that, they told Mich who has been calling on my behalf because Air France no longer have an office in Belize!
I suggested that they sell my seat and let me pay a penalty for the change but they have said that they are a not willing/able to do so!
My departure date is set for Monday December 20th and so far there appears to be no way to change.
It is highly unlikely that the act shall be drafted before I leave but that was something I knew from the very start. I am still waiting on responses from the various ministries and so far only two out of 16 have responded!
The only thing that is in my power to complete is the rights booklet which was only a side project. I feel that to leave now would mean that the main project will sit on the shelf until another volunteer is found and even then they would probably have to volunteer for two years to see the whole thing through.
Barring personal committments in the UK and financial constraints I have no objection to giving two years of my time to work on the Act. The NCA seem happy for me to stay but again they do not have the funds nor would it be fair for me to expect them to do so. My host has happily said I can stay at her home for as long as I want.
When I first arrived I couldn’t understand how I could last one month here and now I am reluctant to leave.
Any ideas/suggestions/comments would be much appreciated…